What are Technical Memos, Documents & Articles?
In our previous posts, we have already discussed what technical writing signifies but for freshening up your memory, we are presenting the following definitions of technical writing.
“Technical writing, a form of technical communication, is a style of writing used in fields as diverse as computer hardware and software, engineering, chemistry, the aerospace industry, robotics, finance, consumer electronics, and biotechnology”.
“Technical writing is a method of researching and creating information about technical processes or products. That information can then be distributed to users as printed manuals or online guides so they can perform tasks”.
Purpose of a Technical Writing Template
The main purpose of technical writing document or template is to transform technical terminologies and information to simple language so that a layman could understand and follow it correctly.
Job Requirement of Technical Writing
Technical writers explain technology and related ideas to technical and nontechnical audiences. This could mean, for example, telling a programmer how to use a software library or telling a consumer how to operate a television remote control.
The job of a technical writer is to design and write instructional guides and manuals for electrical appliances, mechanical tools and computer software applications and other products.
Technical Writing Tips for Effective Documentation
It is important that technical writers translate the complicated technical language to simple phrases so that consumers face no difficulty in buying and operating the products.
Examples of standard technical writing include car repair manuals, help text for database software and FAQs for troubleshooting cameras.
Benefitting from Technical Writing Examples & Samples
The field of technical writing is growing vastly. A large number of reputable industries and organizations have a high demand for technical writers. If you are aspire to become a technical writer, you can hone your technical skills by going through technical writing examples.
You don’t have to buy user manuals and resumes from anywhere; you can simply look out for examples in your home. For instance, the user manuals and instructions come with microwave ovens, DVD players, video games systems, television, air conditioners, laptops etc.
List of Technical Writing Examples
- Definitions such as of sickle cell anemia, robotics.
- Process Discussion such as environmental cycle, cardiac cycle
- Comparisons such as of nuclear reactors.
- Descriptions, for instance of wind mills, generators and primitive stone scraper
- Feasibility Reports like those of Voice Recognition Software, UPS systems.
- Progress reports. For example, Software development, database development
- Application Letters such as Technical writer internee, Product Manager, Quality Assurance Manager
- Complaint Letters. For example, Cosmetic problems, television problems, microwave problems
- Instructions. For example, how to operate a Minolta Freedom 3 Camera, how to install windows XP, Using WS_FTP Pro for Windows etc
- Proposals such as academic proposals, research proposals, corporate standard manuals.
- Resumes. For example, Maintenance technician for high-tech systems, Project Manager, Technical Writer, LAN system administrator.
Popular Technical Writing Examples
Here are a few examples of technical writing, which might be of considerable help for the novice tech writers.
Software UI Guide
After the recession, people have realized that any business or even a giant corporation can run in to trouble anytime. Risk Management Software UI, is designed to know financial risk in a better and constructive way. It’s designed and written to make this interface user friendly. The manual is filled with easy functions on how to calculate and avoid financial risks when the market is down.
Haynes Auto Repair Manual
If you are an automobile freak, you must be knowing about Haynes auto repair manual. The Haynes auto repair manual is one of the finest and the best technical writing examples available. They make complicated and dangerous auto repair procedures clear, so that you don’t have to rush to a garage every time. This book is built in chronological order from simple to complex procedures and also has illustrations showing each part’s repair process. Always buy a Haynes manual, when you buy a new car. I am sure it would help you out in future in a case of emergency.