What is a Personal Mission Statement?
A personal mission statement can be defined as,
“A personal mission statement describes how you see yourself in the future. It describes your hopes and dreams and evokes a sense of achievement and fulfillment”.
“Personal mission statements are based on correct principles like a personal constitution, the basis for making major, life-directing decisions, the basis for making daily decisions in the midst of the circumstances and emotions that affect our lives”.
Stephen Covey refers to crafting a mission statement as
"Connecting with your own unique purpose and the profound satisfaction that comes in fulfilling it."
If you pick up the biography of any famous person, you will notice that the personality understood very clearly the focus of his life and crafted his path for success on the foundations of his values and morals.
Why Should I Have My Personal Mission Statement?
Some of you may argue that we already know our purpose and ambition, then what is the reason behind creating an official personal mission statement. Well, the answer to this is simple and logical.
If you are in the supermarket buying groceries and you don’t have a written list of items you want to buy, possibility is that you might forget buying one or two essential items.
In the same way, if you do not write down your principle goals and core values on a piece of paper, you may at a point lose the sight of your target.
Setting Core Values, Inspiration, Integrity and Personal Vision
Creation of a personal mission statement
embarks you on the journey to self discovery. You get to know yourself by integrating various vistas of your life. Before writing a personal mission statement, you need to ask yourself a few questions like,
- What are my various roles in life?
- What brings me happiness and joy?
- What are my personal values?
- What are the things that bring me satisfaction?
- What are the major goals I want to achieve?
- What are the skills and talents I possess?
- How much money I want to make?
Put the answers on a piece of paper and join them reasonably to give it the form of a personal mission statement.
Sample Personal Mission Statements
Here are a few examples of personal mission statements for you to get ideas from:
- "To educate, motivate and enable myself and all those who know me to achieve self actualization and become everything that God destined us to be."
- “I am a healthy person who has the wisdom to know what I can and cannot control in my life, and act accordingly.”
- “Help the broke, lonely, down-trodden, desperate people of this world see that there is hope. To help them get on their feet and live respectable lives.”
- “Accomplish excellence in whatever endeavor I choose for my life”
- “To find my inner strength and overcome obstacles that hide my goals.”