What are Determiners? Definition and Type of Determiners
What are Determiners
Definition of Determiners
Determiners can be defined as:
A category of words that come with nouns in order to clarify the meaning of the noun are called the determiners.
Examples of Determiners
- I want to buy that book.
- There are few people here.
In the above examples, that and few are determiners.
Types of Determiners
Determiners formulate an open-class of words. Their main types include the following categories:
How and When to Use Articles
The articles “a” and “an” are used when we need to clarify the noun as indefinite and singular. The article “a” comes before nouns beginning with a constant sound, while the article “an” comes before nouns beginning with a vowel sound.
The article “the” is used when we need to clarify the noun as definite and unique.
Examples of Articles
- We saw the car again today.
- I am going to read a newspaper.
Demonstratives can be defined as:
The category of words which is used to clarify the distance of something or some person from the speaker is called demonstratives.
Use of Demonstratives in a Sentence
Demonstratives can function as adjectives and pronouns in a sentence.
These include: That, These, This, Those.
- “That” is used when a singular noun is not very close to the speaker.
- “This” is used when a singular noun is precisely in front and close to the speaker.
- “Those” is used when plural nouns are not very close to the speaker.
- “These” is used when plural nouns are precisely in front and close to the speaker.
Examples of Demonstratives
- That is the place I want to go to.
- These books are fun to read.
The words that come to modify a noun to indicate possession towards some person or something are called possessives.
These include: your, our, my, his, hers, its, their etc
Examples of Possessives
- I am doing my assignment.
- This dress is hers.
The category of indefinite determiners which is used to indicate the quantity of the noun without stating the precise number is called the Quantifiers.
These include: many, much, plenty, enough, several, some, few, little etc.
Examples of Quantifiers
Few examples of quantifiers are:
- I took out some vegetables from the fridge.
- She has several friends at school who work part-time.
The category of definite determiners which is used to indicate the exact quantity of the noun or used to indicate the order of occurrence of the noun is called numbers.
It includes two types:
A. Cardinal Numbers
These include all numerical words like three, five, ten, forty, hundred etc. For Example:
I need two singers for the ceremony.
B. Ordinal Numbers
These include all the words which numerically indicate a rank like first, second, third, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, next last etc. For Example:
I want to reach the second floor of this building.
Find more Grammar help in our grammar section.