Essay Contest Winner Goes to Azerbaijan
A nation-wide essay competition by the World Affairs Council Philadelphia. This essay competition was specifically about Azerbaijan. All the participants were asked to be well informed about the country’s economic, social, historical and political situation. A total of 150 essays got selected and managed to reach a higher level in the competition.
Later on, only ten candidates were selected finally and out of them Matthew Miller won the grand prize. Miller says that he did not restrict his point of view in the essay and saw Azerbaijan’s situation from multiple perspectives. Also he adds in, that he already had great interest in this land’s culture.
At first, Miller’s parents were a bit apprehensive about the trip but soon they agreed. Miller will be departing for Azerbaijan on 19th of June, going on nine day trip to visit the country.
Top Ten Essays
Below is the list of top ten invited participants in the Azerbaijan Study Tour listed in alphabetical order:
- Adam DePaz: World Affairs Council of the Mid-Hudson Valley, Poughkeepsie Day School
- Thomas Estabrook: World Affairs Council West Central Illinois, Jacksonville High School
- Dylan Hardenbergh: Alaska World Affairs Council, South High School
- Natasha Laramie: World Affairs Council – Washington D.C., Dominion High School
- Matthew Miller: World Affairs Council of Philadelphia, Germantown Academy
- Camille Sanches: World Affairs Council of the Florida Palm Beaches, Alexander Dreyfoos School of the Arts
- Madeline Sposato: Peoria Area World Affairs Council, Peoria Notre Dame High School
- Nicolas Tuccillo: World Affairs Council of Connecticut, Canton High School
- James Yan: WorldBoston, Weston High School
- Eric Yang: World Affairs Council of Dallas/FortWorth, The Colony High School