A job description is a written document which outlines the responsibilities and duties that make up a job and the minimum qualification and skills required to carry it out adequately. When crafting down a job description, care should be taken that it uses plain and simple language and outlines the job as it exists presently.
A well written job description makes it easy for both the employee and manager to understand their respective roles.
Essential Requirements of a Standard Sample Job Description
A sample job description template includes the following information. You can also find a complete step by step guide and tips on writing a job description here.
- On the top of the document, there is a section which includes the name of the employee, his designation, department and the name and signature of the supervisor or manager.
- After this there is be a short paragraph which summarizes what the job is about, how it is going to be conducted by the employee and the general level of the job.
- Then there is a section which describes in details the key functions that employees are required to perform in order to achieve the objectives of this particular job. It is also essential that the supervisor mentions any other duties which the employee could be asked to carry out periodically.
- The next section includes the minimum academic qualification and other attributes that the employee must possess in order to competently perform his job—details of preferred and required experience and skills should are also included.
- A good job description also outlines the employment conditions and the kind of physical environment in which the employee will be carrying out his job activities. This section however, is optional.
- The final section is of acknowledgement where the supervisor and employee sign in ink to assure the organization that they completely understand and agree to the content of the document.