10 Bits of Effective Advice for Press Release Writing and Distribution
A press release, also known as the media release or news release, is an account of written or recorded communication, meant for circulation in the news media outlets.
There are many different types of press releases, and there is a trick to writing the most effective ones. This article will briefly discuss effective press release writing and its distribution.
- First, make sure the information is newsworthy and tell your audience it is meant for them and why they should continue to read it.
- Start with a brief description of the news, which normally is a headline.
- Mention who announced it and where it was announced (beginning of the lead paragraph). Extend the contents of your headline.
- Focus on the reader and what’s in it for them. Ask yourself how your reader will relate to this news and will they be able to connect with it.
- Answer the five W’s. Who, what, where, when, and why (ending of the lead paragraph).
- Be very concise and coherent while you write the body of the press release. It will be an elaboration of the headline and your lead paragraph. Avoid flowery sentences and excessive use of adjectives. Keep it factual and to the point.
- Wrap up your story and provide as much contact information as possible i.e. phone, fax, email, website etc.
- Research media outlets to see which ones could be targeted.
- Build a media list you normally send your press releases to, and always add to it by building relationships with editors etc.
- For press release submission, send your press release after proper proof reading through either snail mail or e-mail.