How to Write a Literature Review
Literature Review: What is a Review of Literature
Review of literature or Review, in , has great significance for scientists and . It is necessary to rely on review of literature in research to ensure credibility of the paper as it is impossible for the scientists to examine every new in detail. Currently, most of the scientific fields use literature reviews as ultimate part of their depend upon the summaries and analysis of scientific publications.
Have a look at how to write an abstract for literature review?
What Does Review of Literature Mean
This is quite an essential part to understand as what is a review of literature? Basically, the simplest definition of Review of Related Literature is
‘An assessment of information, facts and figures found in various collected works related to the areas of study of your choice. It is a report that not only describes the works of others that have already been done on any specific topic but also evaluate, analyze and summarize scholarly literature on that topic- an overview of the topic or an issue.’
So, in short it can be well said that a review of literature offers a theoretical base to a study.
Literature Review Format
- Introduction: In the light of the work that has already done, the with special emphasis on the significance of the study.
- Summary of published work: Here the writer goes with the purpose of the study highlighting the methodology as the major findings. While referring any article, he encloses the name of the author along with date of publication when the text referred was actually published.
- Conclusion: This portion briefly including a brief summary of the findings.
- End Notes: Finally, list of all the references are included in a separate page according to the style of formatting suggested by the supervisor.
Read further on how to write a Research proposal?
Here are some simple steps to write a literature review of or a research paper.
In the beginning of any literature review, you always define the topic of your research. Here you briefly explain the issue thus provides an overview of the text that is being reviewed. In this section writer also points out the , evidences and conclusion. You also present your point of view and reason why particular literature is being reviewed.
In this section different studies and are collected including case studies, publications, pdf files, articles, reviews etc. It is better option to search and re-search the material as much as possible. These studies are further summarized as little in details as possible. In short, it is well said that reviews of each study are written to provide credible knowledge including comparisons, contrasts, approaches, analyses and limitations of the previous work to the readers. Furthermore, if you take notes of the readings then it would be definitely convenient for you to accurately summarize the details. Remember, review should be focused in the maximum possible manner. Be consistent as what you are trying to present according to your work and area of study. You must have logical thinking and proper structure as well for your literature review.
In this part, keeping in view the previous knowledge, you have to summarize the contributions that different studies have made. Future scope of study and major findings are also highlighted in this portion. You can also use feedback in this part of your literature review as feedback offers the diversity in views. So, with the help of feedback you can also get points of consensus thus reflecting an understanding where most of the people agree.
You can have a look at this thesis writing guide for graduate students for better thesis writing.
Literature Review Guidelines: Tips to Write a Great Review of Literature
So, finally here we have a speedy look at some guidelines to remember for writing a perfect literature review.
- Try to focus on exemplary study regarding an issue under study
- Highlight different views that can be compared in a literature review as well as those that can be contrasted
- Create a relation of your research with previous researches/ studies
- Also focus as how your research relates with related literature
- and group authors who have similar outcomes of their studies
- Keep yourself limited to the literature related to an issue under scrutiny. This simply means you should be focused while collecting literature for review.
- Remember, literature review purpose is to relate the findings of your study with earlier knowledge. In this way a writer can pave way for further future research.
Review of Literature Example
Below is an example of literature review as how the Feminist Theory has been explained briefly in the light of knowledge put forward by different writers. Just have a read so you may be able to or research paper.