What is Research?
What is Research?
Let’s keep the definition of research less complicated and easy to understand.
What does research mean?
Research is the procedure that involves gathering and searching of required data or information. This procedure takes place to solve a specific problem or question related to the topic. If you see it rationally and technically, research is considered a proper skill.
In fact, being of capable of locating and evaluating information is the main research essence and a highly esteemed skill in various sectors of life. Strikingly, the sense or ability to research is for the targeted audience which we call the educated people. It educates one to be knowledgeable and skilled.
Forms of Research and Their Roles
Importantly, there are two large categories in the field of research which every research must know, one of oral research and the other one is empirical research. Let’s discuss these two forms individually.
Read More: Types of research designs
It is the method of summoning information from a direct source, observation, experience or experiment. Any laboratory experiment of an insect is taken as an empirical research example.
The word oral is self explanatory. This type of research involves the collecting of information by talking to many people directly. For instance, surveys, interviews, questionnaires and polls are the best given examples of oral research.
Benefits of Research to Students
Research which is done efficiently at an under graduated level is called bibliographic research. Despite the fact, the two methods of research mentioned above are most essential and always liable to be incorporated and adjusted in your any given research work. Keep in view that you can also personally interview an expert personality who has marvelous command on the subject you are researching on. You can come up and put forward various research questions in front of the expert who can flawlessly present you with the insights as well as certain information that you might not find in different published sources such as books or pfdc files.
Have a look at academic writing format for research papers and essays.
Contribution of Research to Education
There are four illustrated types that exhibit knowledge research has provided to education
- Description: Social or natural phenomenon can be conveniently defined through research results. For instance, its structure, form, changes over the passage of time, activity and relationship with other phenomenon. Sometimes it also develops information which is statistical about certain factors of education.
- Improvement: This sector of research is concerned majorly with the interventions effectiveness. This kind of research approach involves evaluation of a particular research and experimental design.
- Prediction: It is the research which occurs at a specific time inherited from the information gathered in previous times. In technical terms, it is the intended prediction of a phenomenon.
- Explanation: This type of research covers the three researches described above; if a researcher is able to explain explicitly a phenomenon which isn’t random but a fully fledged educational phenomenon then it states that the research can comprehend and describe, can also make his or her own predictions on its consequences and would definitely know the way to interfere and bring about changes in the consequences.
Research Purposes: Four Forms of Researchers
In 1990, Patton granted the necessity for identification of the research process actual purpose. There are all over four forms of researches that he classified
Basic research has been developed in order to explain and understand. This part of research brings up a theory that elaborates a phenomenon which is investigated to provide its contribution in knowledge. Basic research is comparatively more descriptive and interesting in nature raising questions that start with why, what and how.
This form of research can be formative and summative. It studies deeply the outcomes and processes of an attempted solution the researcher has aimed at. Formative research purpose is to bring improvements in human intercession within particular conditions like time, activities and people in groups. Whereas, on the other hand, summative evaluation purpose is to analyze the effectiveness of programs, product and policy.
This kind of research is meant for humans and their betterment. Its main purpose is to help humans understand each other’s problems and resolve them in order to have an effective and firm control over their environment. In critical terms, applied research enhances the long lasting solutions to societal and human problems. This research pays attention to questions owing how mostly and it is generally proscriptive in nature.
This research is the most efficient research that desires solving specific issues regarding an organization, program or community. In 1990, Patton mentioned that the data collection and design in this form of research is more formal and people in who chose action research involved directly in collecting information, studying and researching themselves.
Process of Research: Basic Steps of the Research Process
There are stages which tell how to conduct a research based study;
- Identification of a research problem: This stage requires findings of different research questions which are feasible and significant to study.
- Preparation of research proposal: Research proposals is mostly comprised of various sections that include literature review, introductory, research processes, research designs, analysis of data and security of human timeline and subject section.
- Conduction of pilot study: The main purpose of this stage if to try out and develop data collecting processes along with other methods.
- Conducting and focusing on main study.
- Preparation of a report which is extremely important.