Movie reviews give an insight of a film and they play a part in helping people decide if they should really go and watch the film or not and so one has to be neutral and honest while writing a movie review. Here are a few tips for you to start on your own movie review for a website, magazine or personal blog.
- First you’ll have to watch the film till the end and don’t hesitate watching it twice if you have to because the reader will see through your eyes so watch and observe.
- Take notes while watching the movie. You need to know about the title of the film, genre, director, screen writer, music, main actors, plot etc. Try to analyze the movie, see if the audience is enjoying, if the director did justice to the subject, how you found actors’ performance, if the special effects were gripping etc.
- Before beginning to write the review, let emotions wipe off because if you start writing immediately after watching the movie there is a chance that your review gets biased.
- Most readers like to get entertained through the reviews so try to make a good start e.g. you can pick an interesting or funny exchange of dialogues from the film and tell about the audience’s response to that while you were at the cinema.
- After the introduction summarize the plot or give the synopsis of the story. Give a little background of the story; write about the characters and genre of the film, the time and place where it took place. Don’t disclose the surprise twists and avoid giving too much description. Just describe the basic storyline so that reader can understand what the film is about.
- After the synopsis start writing what you analyzed while watching the film. Tell your reader about the good and bad points, direction, acting, technical factors, strength and weaknesses of the plot, so on and so forth.
- In the end give your honest verdict about the film but if the movie is worth watching don’t discourage your readers from going to the cinema and watch the film because a good movie review should tempt its readers. Read your review after sometime for making changes or corrections.