What is a Dedication Page for a Term Paper, Thesis or Dissertation?
After having spent 3 or 4 years (depending on whether you were enrolled in an undergraduate or a graduate degree program), you will be asked to submit a thesis – also referred to as a dissertation or research paper.
When you start working on that thesis of yours, you will look down the memory lane and remember all those years and time that you’ve spent in pursuit of your academic aspirations. You’ll be overcome with nostalgia and you will want to mention the names of all those people & institutions that have helped you to reach the finish line of your academic pursuits.
Well, you have the opportunity to do that in the dedication segment of your thesis. However, the question is, do you know the proper rules for writing dedication for term papers or thesis? On a positive note, there are no preset rules or stipulations for writing dedication for term papers or thesis.
However, on a precautionary note, it is highly recommended and strongly advised that you should consult with your project coordinator or guidance counselor to ask him or her if they want to see the dedication written in a particular manner i.e. text formatting, placement of the dedication in the thesis etc.
How to Write a Dedication Page?
Follow the steps below to write a dedication or thesis acknowledgment:
- Once you’ve got all the particulars from your thesis coordinator, you can get down to writing dedication for term papers or thesis.
- Make a list of all the individuals and institutions you want to recognize & pay homage to. The people can be your kith and kin who have helped & supported you through the years till you got to your final term; the support can be either financial or moral.
- You can also honor anyone who has helped you in the creation of your thesis; whether it was lending ideas or helping with digging up references.
- The same applies for organizations & institutions; whether they helped you with writing your dissertation or, perhaps, provided you with a scholarship to fund your academic objectives.
Format of a Dedication or Thesis Acknowledgment Page
Check against the following formatting guidelines while creating a dedication page:
- A standard dedication page should not exceed a page in length.
- The content must be void of any & all textual errors; punctuation, grammar, spelling etc.
- Begin by thanking the important people e.g. your research supervisor, course coordinator, parents and siblings.
- Mention the contributing help or support of each involved in briefest.